I'm currently listening to a mixed CD by my spectcular friend Cary. The wonderful, alive songs, knowing some of the thought that went into the song selection, and the memories of Cary, San Francisco, and other San Franciscan friends that the CD elicits make for some pretty high voltage nostalgia.
Forgive this brief digression into etymology: if my classics education serves me well, the word "nostalgia" is derived from the Greek "nostos" and "algos", the words for "voyage" and "suffering", respectively. (Goodness, more than a geek I feel like a preacher doing some dilettante etymology on the "true" meaning of some Greek term in the Bible. Regardless...)
So, the point is that I was reflecting on the beautiful time past, but not so much on the "algos", on the suffering. Rather, it was truly a joyous reflection, and then a wonder at the incredible place where I am now--and on how rich this world is.
So, here's the proof that I'm more dilettante than dork: I don't know enough Greek to coin a neologism for the sensation I'm describing--the nost-celebration. If any of you out there are the real deal classicist, let me know what the word would be.
New Orleans is the last place where I thought I'd turn into Pollyanna.
And by the way, I'm particularly into PM Dawn's version of "Norwegian Wood" and Soul Coughing's "Screenwriter's Blues". It's one of those songs that make you feel cool just for listening to it. And this is a long time fav. Sorry, no PM Dawn link. These are all from Cary's killer CD.
And finally, check out Lejo--the best I've seen since Terminator X.
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yay! I'm glad my CD has led you on a voyage of suffering! My work here is done.
I've never seen that Screenwriter's Blues video. What's up with Mike Doughty's hand-flailing? I guess when I've seen him live, he's been playing his guitar. Good thing.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, not only because of The Cure video, but just thinking about 1641. Viva 1641! Long may it make me weepy with nostalgia as well.
Hi Marco,
Just thinking of you in the midst of my frantic BariBri schedule and thinking how insane this all really is, can I really know the 14 substantive areas of the hypothetical, make-believe world of the CA bar examiners?"
Hi,
Stanley Radtke
Post a Comment